10/18/15

Naan Pesto con Proscuitto Flatbread

Now that I am back in the work grind I am finding it hard to stay motivated, especially after work, to cook a healthy dinner I won't feel guilty about. I feel like that summer ease to stay active in the kitchen is long gone! Being in that kind of a rut is so frustrating, especially when options exist but you just can't think of anything. My guilty go-to is always pasta. It's easy to cook and easily my favorite food on the planet. I go for pesto when I want to keep it light, and spicy marinara or butter when I feel like diving into the "I'm SO HUNGRY I don't even care" abyss.


When I do care, a feel a little creative, I tend to experiment with my favorite flatbread: naan. I prefer greens on my homemade flatbreads - like pesto. Arugula is great, too! When I make my pesto flatbread, I feel like I am getting a little taste of my favorite dish! It's not necessarily healthy, but the portions are small and are probably less carbs than pasta.

So...introducing my new pesto flatbread favorite. The ingredients are simple - in fact, the simpler the better because pesto is such a flavorful base in itself. Proscuitto, pecorino, a little bit of mozzarella - and in this case, capers. No measurements, just what looks about right and will stay on your flatbread in the oven!

I love how the proscuitto (ripped into strips) are crispy after only 5-6 minutes at 350 degrees. The pecorino holds its' shape, while the mozzarella melts and holds everything down. Capers were a last-minute decision, but may have competed a bit with the pesto itself. Capers are really salty, and taste good with a chicken piccata sort of dish...maybe not this one.

This pairs {really} well with a nice wine and some olives, cheese, and other antipasti. 2 small, circle-shaped naan flatbreads are more than enough for a nice lunch or an appetizer.


ciao! xo